Friday, June 17, 2005

Using Flash Drives

By Zemog Xilef Sevet

Flash Drives are in today especially to IT Professionals. Flash drive is a small, portable flash memory card that plugs into a computer’s USB port and functions as a portable hard drive with up to 2GB of storage capacity. It is very easy to use.
It is more durable than external drives since it does not contain internal moving parts. USB flash drives also are called pen drives, key drives or simply USB drives. http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/U/USB_flash_drive.html

I would like to share with you how useful these drives are to me. As a freelance programmer, I devout a lot of my spare time in making my client’s program. Although I have a laptop I could carry anywhere I go, it is not so convenient especially for a long travel. I sometimes work with my program in my office. After office hours I will have transfer it to a hard disk for me to continue the program at home. This is not a good idea since hard disk is vulnerable. If you drop your HD, there is a big chance it will not work anymore. This is where flash drives come into the picture. It has enough capacity to store my program. It is very light and it can be ported anywhere. All you have to do is to put it in your pocket or lace it on your neck.

What about CDs or floppy drives? Well, CDROMS and CD writers are not so common in computers compared to USB ports. Another thing is that you can add, save, update delete data in flash drives, unlike CDs that it is not that flexible. Apparently, floppy disks are out of the picture if we are talking about large storage media and data protection.

However, some operating system does not support plug and play on flash drives, like Win98 series, NT and early Linux distros. But it is ok if you bring with you the driver. In my opinion, it is still best to have flash drives around.

Thing to ponder:

There is no flash drive yet that could be detected in any OS (specially the old versions), so what I’m thinking is, can we make one? Hmm.. sounds a good thing huh! Bye.