Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Greater Position, Greater Responsibility

When our president appointed me as the Dean of College here in our institution I was aware of the big responsibilities I need to tackle everyday. One day, my friend asked me why he can not get a good position in their office. Then I remember a story I read when I was in grade school. The story involves the owner and the employee. One day, the boy (employee) approached his superior and asked, “Sir, why didn’t you hire me as a supervisor and instead you hired somebody else? And why am I receiving small wage where in fact I work a lot than our new supervisor?”

In a distant, the owner saw a truck full of load. He told the boy, “Go and ask the driver of the truck where he is going.” So the boy approached the driver and asks. He then returned and said the driver is going to a nearby barangay to deliver the load. Then the owner said “Ask the driver what is in that truck”. The boy came back with a reply “The truck is full of sack of rice”. Then the owner told him to ask how many sack of rice.

The boy goes back and forth asking and relaying the answer to his boss until he was exhausted then the owner called his new supervisor. He said, “Kindly ask the driver where he is going.” The supervisor obligingly does as he was told. He then came back to report, “Sir, the driver is going to deliver 20 sacks of rice to a nearby barangay. He is from a town 25 kilometers from here. The sack of rice will be delivered to a certain Mr. Wong who is a businessman engaged in rice buy and sell. He stops for a while to fix an engine trouble. That’s all sir.”

The owner turned to the boy and said, “Now you see why I hired him as a supervisor. In addition to that, you may not see him working or see him just writing a report but the task should not be counted as to how much it literally weights. You are maybe carrying sacks of rice everyday while he is only holding a pen. The weight that is considered here is the responsibility. You are maybe responsible in stacking sacks of rice but your supervisor has more responsibility because he is also answerable for your actions and the things that may happen to you while your working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home